Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

US 50/301(Chesapeake Bay Bridge)

<< < (3/77) > >>

Jennice45:
Thanks for the quick tip.  I figured as much.  does anyone know if there are any scary bridges that going through newark?    Also, it is about long how of a trip from Richmond this way?

Alex:

--- Quote from: Jennice45 on August 25, 2011, 02:50:57 PM ---Thanks for the quick tip.  I figured as much.  does anyone know if there are any scary bridges that going through newark?
--- End quote ---

You will still have to cross the Millard J. Tydings Bridge across the Susquehanna River. The span is pretty high above the river, but a lot shorter than the Bay Bridge or the Bridge-Tunnel aforementioned.

--- Quote from: Jennice45 on August 25, 2011, 02:50:57 PM --- Also, it is about long how of a trip from Richmond this way?
--- End quote ---

Richmond is about 200 miles from Newark, Ocean City is about 100 miles south of Newark.

Ian:
If you're taking DE 1 south from Newark, you also have to cross the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal Bridge, although that's a more newer bridge (1990's completion date):

Alps:
At least in my opinion, the US 40 Hatem Bridge is lower to the water and therefore less "scary" than the Tydings bridge (I-95) over the Susquehanna, but it's a truss, meaning it has large beams going up around you. I don't know if you'd find that a problem or not. Of all the bridges across the C&D Canal, the DE 1 bridge is probably the least scary.

1995hoo:
If you're scared of bridges and you take I-95 over the Tydings Bridge as mentioned above, you'll want to drive in the center lane of the three over the bridge because of crosswinds. Driving in the center lane allows you more space to either side if you feel like the winds are buffeting your car.

An alternative through that area that does not involve high bridges takes you northwest to US-1 and across the river on the Conowingo Dam. But that might bother you more than a bridge!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version