AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Garden State Parkway  (Read 221875 times)

Tonytone

• Last Login: Today at 10:38:59 AM
    • LawnCare Website
Re: Garden State Parkway
« Reply #1200 on: October 19, 2018, 12:49:03 PM »

Whats the issue with tolls converting to debit & credit?
iPhone

There's a credit card transaction fee of approximately 3% of the charge every time the card is used, usually paid by the company.  There's also equipment expenses, phone line expenses, receipt paper expenses, etc.   Toll agencies don't want to pay these fees and expenses.  They would rather motorists convert to EZ Pass.
Actually makes sense. Its their type of debit. Because you’re card is hooked up to it.

iPhone
Working on Civil Engineer Degree/Creator of Valuez Lawn-Care

SignBridge

• Last Login: November 15, 2018, 03:15:36 PM
« Reply #1201 on: October 19, 2018, 08:14:22 PM »

I personally preferred the more specific toll-lane signing such as Cash or E-Z Pass because it's specific as to what is accepted.

Also, my reading of the Manual's standard re: toll booth signs is that it does not specifically require the words Full Service. Sec. 2F-13.20 states: Signs for attended lanes at toll plazas SHALL include word messages SUCH AS Full Service, Cash, Change or Receipts. I assume that the words such as make these legends  suggestions only, not mandatory and leaves the door open for similar, but not identical messages.

So why are some toll agencies rushing to change their signs to read Full Service?

Don'tKnowYet

• Last Login: October 19, 2018, 09:01:45 PM
« Reply #1202 on: October 19, 2018, 09:01:45 PM »

It's not about what the lane accepts.  It's about what the lane offers and Receipts is one of them.  A GSP non-ezpass lane can offer cash, change, receipts and expass. It all can't simply fit on the sign.

mrsman

• Last Login: Today at 09:17:42 AM
« Reply #1203 on: November 06, 2018, 06:04:36 AM »

iPhone

There's a credit card transaction fee of approximately 3% of the charge every time the card is used, usually paid by the company.  There's also equipment expenses, phone line expenses, receipt paper expenses, etc.   Toll agencies don't want to pay these fees and expenses.  They would rather motorists convert to EZ Pass.

Don't forget the delay involved in making sure the credit card is approved.

But all of this is talk is relatively short term.  More and more toll roads are becoming ORT and I expect the GSP will be fully converted in the next 5-10 years.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 09:04:25 AM
« Reply #1204 on: November 06, 2018, 08:02:21 AM »

I personally preferred the more specific toll-lane signing such as Cash or E-Z Pass because it's specific as to what is accepted.

Also, my reading of the Manual's standard re: toll booth signs is that it does not specifically require the words Full Service. Sec. 2F-13.20 states: Signs for attended lanes at toll plazas SHALL include word messages SUCH AS Full Service, Cash, Change or Receipts. I assume that the words such as make these legends  suggestions only, not mandatory and leaves the door open for similar, but not identical messages.

So why are some toll agencies rushing to change their signs to read Full Service?

The manual was written in 2009. I hardly think a conversion 9 years later is rushing it.

Tonytone

• Last Login: Today at 10:38:59 AM
    • LawnCare Website
« Reply #1205 on: November 07, 2018, 01:19:53 AM »

iPhone

Don't forget the delay involved in making sure the credit card is approved.

But all of this is talk is relatively short term.  More and more toll roads are becoming ORT and I expect the GSP will be fully converted in the next 5-10 years.
That delay is about equal to how long it take for them to break a bill & give you back change. Even though ezpass is the best option with mail tollz coming in 2nd best. & For now keep the tolls & the jobs they provide. New highway are being built with the wireless stuff.

iPhone
Working on Civil Engineer Degree/Creator of Valuez Lawn-Care

roadman65

• Last Login: November 12, 2018, 03:53:17 PM
« Reply #1206 on: November 09, 2018, 11:52:27 AM »

Wonder if the NJTA still has the signs that say "No Pennies Please?"  That takes forever to count especially when the patron gives over 10 cents or more, plus you will get the occasional driver who pays over $2 in pennies just to be cute with our state in Florida insisting we MUST take them even though socially it was considered not right, but today we live in a society that is not traditional, but insists that the individual ways, though different, were all passed down through my granddaddy.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: Today at 09:04:25 AM
« Reply #1207 on: November 09, 2018, 01:45:48 PM »

Wonder if the NJTA still has the signs that say "No Pennies Please?"  That takes forever to count especially when the patron gives over 10 cents or more, plus you will get the occasional driver who pays over $2 in pennies just to be cute with our state in Florida insisting we MUST take them even though socially it was considered not right, but today we live in a society that is not traditional, but insists that the individual ways, though different, were all passed down through my granddaddy.

Regardless if the sign exists are not, they are supposed to take pennies.  The sign is there just to dissuade them.  Some toll takers will say they don't take pennies, but they're in the wrong.

PHLBOS

• Last Login: Today at 10:10:32 AM
« Reply #1208 on: November 09, 2018, 02:13:13 PM »

Regardless if the sign exists are not, they are supposed to take pennies.  The sign is there just to dissuade them.  Some toll takers will say they don't take pennies, but they're in the wrong.
Weren't most of those NO PENNIES PLEASE signs posted for the now-gone Exact-Change-Lanes (ECL) along the Garden State Parkway?  IIRC, the reasoning for having such in those lanes was for both expediency & the possible (not sure if true or not) issue of the coin-drop buckets not accepting them for whatever reason. 
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.