AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: New York State Thruway  (Read 332449 times)

seicer

• Last Login: Today at 06:25:05 PM
Re: New York State Thruway
« Reply #2100 on: November 20, 2020, 11:40:47 AM »

I can think of another complication there: the gantry between 25 and 24 is east of the Guilderland (eastbound) Service Area. Consider this scenario:

• Alice enters at 25A, exits at 25, does some business in Schenectady, re-enters at 25, and exits at 24.

• Bob enters at 25A, has a leisurely lunch at the Service Area, and exits at 24.

As I understand it, Alice should not be charged for the 25A to 25 trip, and should be charged for the separate 25 to 24 trip; while Bob’s trip should be completely free no matter how slowly he ate his McNuggets. But how would the mainline gantries tell them apart?

It won't. Service areas allow 4 hour parking, so they would theoretically need to allow travel time between gantries + 4 hours for free passage.

I've car camped (>6 hours) before and after the NYSTA conversion and have had no issues.

vdeane

• Last Login: November 22, 2020, 09:00:51 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #2101 on: November 20, 2020, 12:58:12 PM »

Outside of my area, 50 might be down by the weekend, with that crew moving to 55 next week to get that done before the holiday.

You would be right about 50

[tweet snipped]

Exciting! That Williamsville Barrier is the single one I was most excited about seeing removed. :cheers:
I can't wait to drive through there with the booths gone. It will be interesting to see how the signage and lane configurations for Exit 50 are handled. I'd like to see six lanes extended to Exit 49, but I'm not holding my breath, at least for now.
Yeah, it doesn't look like they have plans to.  I don't believe those gantries are wide enough, and page 10 of their terminus concept plans actually has the westbound approach reduced in width from the existing three lanes to two (even though there is probably enough room to strip in a third WB lane under NY 277; the span of the bridge over the EB lanes doesn't look like it's wider than the span over the WB lanes, anyways, and the WB lanes look a little wide on street view).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

empirestate

• Last Login: Today at 12:21:32 AM
    • Empire State Roads
« Reply #2102 on: November 20, 2020, 03:12:14 PM »

Interesting. I can think of several locations where that could work nicely (Exit 44, for example), but the termini of I-490 aren't among them because of the close proximity of Exits 1 and 29, respectively.

Exit 1 is too close, but I think 29 is just far enough away for it to work. The bigger obstacle would be the simple fact that only one lane exists for EB through movements.

Why does Exit 45 advance signage not mention NY 96? Will it mention it once the toll plazas are removed?

My guess is that NY 96 doesn't serve any substantially different destinations than I-490 does (that aren't also served by other exits, such as 44).

webny99

• Roadgeek Forever!

• Last Login: Today at 05:57:19 PM
« Reply #2103 on: November 20, 2020, 04:27:25 PM »

Exit 1 is too close, but I think 29 is just far enough away for it to work. The bigger obstacle would be the simple fact that only one lane exists for EB through movements.

Yeah, that is definitely the biggest issue there, which is why I think the EB ramp should be widened regardless, but especially once the booths come down.

Yeah, it doesn't look like they have plans to.  I don't believe those gantries are wide enough, and page 10 of their terminus concept plans actually has the westbound approach reduced in width from the existing three lanes to two (even though there is probably enough room to strip in a third WB lane under NY 277; the span of the bridge over the EB lanes doesn't look like it's wider than the span over the WB lanes, anyways, and the WB lanes look a little wide on street view).

At the very least, it would make sense to keep it three lanes westbound from where the current third lane begins to Exit 50. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any reason why you couldn't fit a third lane under NY 277. After all, they already did just that on the eastbound side. The current two westbound lanes have always struck me as extra-wide, too.
Left Lane is For Passing, Not Camping!

Jim

• Check out https://travelmapping.net

• Last Login: Today at 07:42:56 PM
    • Travel and Other Pictures
« Reply #2104 on: November 21, 2020, 06:06:43 PM »

To continue the play-by-play of the Exit 24 toll plaza demolition, as of this afternoon, all traffic in both directions was going through the middle 7 lanes, which are the only ones still standing.  They've been working from both ends.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, weather, sports)

vdeane

• Last Login: November 22, 2020, 09:00:51 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #2105 on: November 21, 2020, 08:22:39 PM »

Interesting.  When I went through there, WB traffic was being routed around the booths.  It was nice to not go through them.

Meanwhile at exit 45, the booths are gone and traffic is in the final lane configuration, though paving hasn't been done yet.  It's really nice (especially since I nearly always had to deal with some slowpoke at these two interchanges), but it does make entering and exiting the Thruway anti-climatic.  The experience is more like the Buffalo and downstate portions, where it's just another road that happens to be maintained by a different organization.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Jim

« Reply #2106 on: November 21, 2020, 08:32:45 PM »

To continue the play-by-play of the Exit 24 toll plaza demolition, as of this afternoon, all traffic in both directions was going through the middle 7 lanes, which are the only ones still standing.  They've been working from both ends.

I either didn't observe the situation correctly earlier or it changed by the time I went back through getting on the Thruway, because I went around the remaining booths.  I'm guessing I just didn't notice where the oncoming traffic was going earlier.

cl94

• Trust me, I'm a transportation engineer

• Last Login: Today at 06:22:31 PM
« Reply #2107 on: Today at 10:25:33 AM »

I was going to post about how NYSTA is handling the barrier arrangement in the Albany area...but it's taking them forever to post tolls. My trip from the 14th has yet to post to my E-ZPass account and the pay by plate lookup also has nothing.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

• UMass Lowell student

• Last Login: Today at 07:43:08 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #2108 on: Today at 11:05:28 AM »

I was going to post about how NYSTA is handling the barrier arrangement in the Albany area...but it's taking them forever to post tolls. My trip from the 14th has yet to post to my E-ZPass account and the pay by plate lookup also has nothing.

Some places (particularly thinking of the 10¢ tolls in Rhode Island that have since been removed) don't charge you until you reach a certain amount of money owed.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US ⒔50
MA ⒐2⒉40.9⒐10⒎10⒐1⒒1⒘1⒚14⒈159
NH 27,38,111A(E); CA133; NY366; GA 42,140; FL A1A; CT32; VT 5A; QC 16⒉16⒌263

Flickr: Click the globe under my avatar

cl94

« Reply #2109 on: Today at 12:38:01 PM »

Some places (particularly thinking of the 10¢ tolls in Rhode Island that have since been removed) don't charge you until you reach a certain amount of money owed.

NYSTA posts everything to the account. Even the $0 toll for 24-25A.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Jim

« Reply #2110 on: Today at 02:24:57 PM »

More play-by-play for those interested.  As of early afternoon today.  I entered at 25 for the first time since the switchover.  There are just two toll booth lanes remaining, the far rightmost for exiting traffic.  Completely free flowing for entering.  Nice!

Exiting at 24, all traffic was funneled to two lanes in the middle of the portion of the plaza that remains standing.  Looks like it's close to being ready to shift exiting traffic around the remaining plaza lanes.

This seems to me to be really impressive progress.  Maybe it's easier than the Mass Pike plaza removals because they had tunnels under the plazas there, if I am remembering correctly.  States/agencies that take forever to remove plazas after an AET switchover should hang their heads in shame...

cl94

« Reply #2111 on: Today at 02:59:41 PM »

Maybe it's easier than the Mass Pike plaza removals because they had tunnels under the plazas there, if I am remembering correctly.  States/agencies that take forever to remove plazas after an AET switchover should hang their heads in shame...

24 at least has a utility tunnel underneath, but they seem to just be abandoning that in place for the time being. A utility tunnel with no surface access other than from the admin building is certainly easier to cover up and built around than something workers use to access the booths.

02 Park Ave

• Happy motoring!

• Last Login: Today at 05:45:31 PM
« Reply #2112 on: Today at 04:36:13 PM »

Here is an update on 16:  The right hand lanes remain Exit 16 only with the former E-ZPass lanes being for all through traffic with no signage indicating that for them.  Surprisingly there is a VMS in the vicinity which could readily be used to provide this information.  However, it only displays still another COVID message.

How many motorists heading for Albany have found themselves on the Quickway?  That's anyone's guess.
C-o-H

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.