News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on April 04, 2022, 10:08:14 AM
Able-bodied relatives of handicapped drivers, who still use the handicap mirror-hanger when driving the vehicle, just so they can park closer to the store unnecessarily.

When I drove my green Camry I always parked in the "green vehicles" space

texaskdog

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on April 05, 2022, 10:10:17 AM
I work at a grocery store and we recently switched EBT systems two months ago. Sometimes an elderly person will come through our line and doesn't know how it works. So the cashier will be frantically trying to explain it to them while they're holding the entire line up. It gets worse when it's really busy, with Easter right around the corner. It's really annoying.

People getting mad because they can't use EBT for lottery

formulanone

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on April 05, 2022, 02:25:59 PMWait, is it C3PO or See Threepeo?

A pet theory of mine is that K2SO (from Rouge One) is cheesy, like queso. It's definitely salty to others...

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 05, 2022, 10:23:07 AM
Quote from: kphoger on April 05, 2022, 08:46:50 AM
These days, it's much more likely to see a sign explaining why certain items are (a) completely out of stock or (b) limited to x number of items per purchase.

More or less staffing and/or supply issues have been the go to crutch a lot of businesses use.  It started with COVID but became normalized as an excuse as time progressed. 

One that bothers me that I just encountered again was not being able to schedule oil change appointments at my dealer.  The service is about $20 dollars cheaper at the dealership but they want me to use their oil change lane.  I rather just eat the $20 dollars and compete with less people at the likes of Jiffy Lube.  Now that a recycling center opened near me I just might start doing them myself again. 

My dad is retired and likes to tinker with cars, so he built himself a shop that has a lift in it. Normally, I would say the marginal sum an oil change costs is a wash with the effort expended, so I didn't mind paying for it. But having access to a lift makes it so appallingly simple I don't think I'll ever pay for an oil change again. Not in cash, anyway. I get to pay in the form of having to listen to my dad make rude comments about Hillary Clinton and whatever minority he thinks is responsible for the car's design the whole time.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kkt

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 05, 2022, 04:02:45 PM
These days, it's much more likely to see a sign explaining why certain items are (a) completely out of stock or (b) limited to x number of items per purchase.

More or less staffing and/or supply issues have been the go to crutch a lot of businesses use.  It started with COVID but became normalized as an excuse as time progressed. 

One that bothers me that I just encountered again was not being able to schedule oil change appointments at my dealer.  The service is about $20 dollars cheaper at the dealership but they want me to use their oil change lane.  I rather just eat the $20 dollars and compete with less people at the likes of Jiffy Lube.  Now that a recycling center opened near me I just might start doing them myself again. 

My dad is retired and likes to tinker with cars, so he built himself a shop that has a lift in it. Normally, I would say the marginal sum an oil change costs is a wash with the effort expended, so I didn't mind paying for it. But having access to a lift makes it so appallingly simple I don't think I'll ever pay for an oil change again. Not in cash, anyway. I get to pay in the form of having to listen to my dad make rude comments about Hillary Clinton and whatever minority he thinks is responsible for the car's design the whole time.

Oh, man, I'd rather take it to Jiffy Lube.

J N Winkler

I do my own oil changes (using Rhino Ramps) and don't really understand this thing about having to pay to dispose of the used oil.  Don't all county household hazardous waste disposal locations take it just to avoid incentivizing people to dump it on the ground?

While oil change shops (called "iffy lubes" on car forums) are usually more convenient, I like being able to use synthetic oil and a filter of my choice and not having to clean up after the all-points inspection a shop will insist on, which I've found does more harm than good (e.g. bolts not screwed back in after inspecting the air filter, air let out of tires that are already correctly inflated).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 05, 2022, 05:43:41 PM
I do my own oil changes (using Rhino Ramps) and don't really understand this thing about having to pay to dispose of the used oil.  Don't all county household hazardous waste disposal locations take it just to avoid incentivizing people to dump it on the ground?

I don't believe McClain County (where I change the oil) even has a household hazardous waste disposal location. Google returns nothing but links to the local Superfund site, which is probably an ill-advised destination for it. My dad just dumps his used oil on his gravel drive, which I'm sure will be fun to deal with should I inherit that house from him. I could insist on taking my own used oil back to Norman and using Cleveland County's facilities (which I am entitled to use), but I'm sure expressing a desire to do so would probably open me to ridicule from the old man, so I don't press the issue.

Bruce

My county accepts quite the list of household waste: https://snohomishcountywa.gov/477/Hazardous-Waste

Honestly sad and shocking that there's no collection site in a suburban county, and that people still think it's acceptable to just dump it into the ground.

Scott5114

Quote from: Bruce on April 05, 2022, 09:05:14 PM
Honestly sad and shocking that there's no collection site in a suburban county, and that people still think it's acceptable to just dump it into the ground.

Well, three key points to keep in mind:
1) McClain County isn't really suburban. Exurban is generous, and that's just for the far northern reaches of it; the southern two-thirds of it are pretty firmly rural.
2) It is Oklahoma. The vote percentage in favor of Trump actually increased from 2016 to 2020, to 79.5%.
3) My dad used to drive a black PT Cruiser with purple flames on the fenders and an aftermarket button that triggered an aaahoooga horn. He also liked it enough he managed to convince me to buy a PT Cruiser as the first car that I actually bought myself. (This is something I remind myself of before committing to following Dad's advice on anything.)

Honestly, I would be more shocked if there was a collection site in Purcell, and even more shocked if Dad used it.

formulanone

Usually, the chain oil-change places and dealerships will take back small amounts of used oil as part of "environmental stewardship". Call ahead to be sure.

ZLoth

So does Dallas Household Hazardous Waste. Problem is, they are only open three days a week, evening hours is Tuesdays only, plus the 2nd and 4th Saturdays.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on April 05, 2022, 04:05:49 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 05, 2022, 04:02:45 PM

Oh, man, I'd rather take it to Jiffy Lube.

I have my limits for what I'm willing to pay versus what level annoyance I'm willing to endure.  If I had access to a lift there is no question that I would be changing my own oil too given the simplicity. 

Now larger services like brake pad replacement and spark plugs I have done with the help of my brother in law the last six months.  I'm not paying someone $600 dollars (what the dealer was asking) when I can just do myself and give my brother in law (an ASE certified mechanic) $100 dollars and beer to help/bring tools.

Regarding oil disposal, the city of Fresno just released a list of certified collection sites/businesses.  There wasn't a overt published list before and no clear options near me previously.  After searching for awhile I decided to use the left over oil from the couple times my wife made me change it in her car as weed killer in the back yard.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 05, 2022, 07:23:50 PM
I don't believe McClain County (where I change the oil) even has a household hazardous waste disposal location. Google returns nothing but links to the local Superfund site, which is probably an ill-advised destination for it. My dad just dumps his used oil on his gravel drive, which I'm sure will be fun to deal with should I inherit that house from him. I could insist on taking my own used oil back to Norman and using Cleveland County's facilities (which I am entitled to use), but I'm sure expressing a desire to do so would probably open me to ridicule from the old man, so I don't press the issue.

Quote from: Bruce on April 05, 2022, 09:05:14 PM

When I was a little kid growing up in New Lenox (IL), we lived on a street that dead-ended at a railroad.  My dad used to just pour the used motor oil onto the driest-looking railroad tie.

Later on, when we lived in a small Kansas town of less than 1500 people and 30 miles from the nearest stoplight, I think he just dumped it in the gutter at the bottom of the driveway.

Now that they live in a decent-sized city, I don't even think he changes his own oil anymore.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tchafe1978

Quote from: formulanone on April 06, 2022, 09:11:18 AM
Usually, the chain oil-change places and dealerships will take back small amounts of used oil as part of "environmental stewardship". Call ahead to be sure.

Walmart Auto Care Centers will take used oil, I'm not sure if there is a limit on amount or anything. I don't change the oil in my cars as to me it's not worth the hassle just to save a few bucks and I can give my local trusted mechanic the business. I do however take back to Walmart the small amount of oil I get every spring from changing the oil in my lawnmowers and snowblower, usually less than a gallon. I figure taking it to any collection site is well worth it vs. just dumping it on the ground for it to get into the groundwater, lakes, streams, etc.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: tchafe1978 on April 06, 2022, 10:12:54 AM

Walmart Auto Care Centers will take used oil, I'm not sure if there is a limit on amount or anything. I don't change the oil in my cars as to me it's not worth the hassle just to save a few bucks and I can give my local trusted mechanic the business. I do however take back to Walmart the small amount of oil I get every spring from changing the oil in my lawnmowers and snowblower, usually less than a gallon. I figure taking it to any collection site is well worth it vs. just dumping it on the ground for it to get into the groundwater, lakes, streams, etc.

I have taken my used oil to Walmart for the past 25 years.  They got to the point that they just asked me to leave it by the door tot he auto center, so I do that and don't talk to anyone.  If they started to charge for it, I am nowhere is sight for them to charge. 

jakeroot

Quote from: ZLoth on April 04, 2022, 08:10:54 AM
The local Chick-Fil-A has discontinued curbside pickup, and encourages you to use the drive-through.

I don't recall the Seattle Chick Fil A's having any curbside service, except maybe a single location. It was either drive-thru or in-store pickup. I've personally only ever ordered for in-store pickup since, unlike so many, I can actually be arsed to get out of my car, and it's a billion times faster.

formulanone

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on April 06, 2022, 10:26:42 AM
Quote from: tchafe1978 on April 06, 2022, 10:12:54 AM

I have taken my used oil to Walmart for the past 25 years.  They got to the point that they just asked me to leave it by the door tot he auto center, so I do that and don't talk to anyone.  If they started to charge for it, I am nowhere is sight for them to charge. 

I've worked for several dealerships in the past; so as long as they can hand-carry all the oil in 1-2 trips, it's all good. Some places even use it for oil-burning heaters in the winter, and can take all they can get.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on April 07, 2022, 02:06:22 AM

Quote from: ZLoth on April 04, 2022, 08:10:54 AM
The local Chick-Fil-A has discontinued curbside pickup, and encourages you to use the drive-through.

I don't recall the Seattle Chick Fil A's having any curbside service, except maybe a single location. It was either drive-thru or in-store pickup. I've personally only ever ordered for in-store pickup since, unlike so many, I can actually be arsed to get out of my car, and it's a billion times faster.

By the time I realized it wasn't only Uber drivers who were allowed to pick up inside, our local CFA was already about to re-open the dining room.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

I was on buc-ees.com looking for their locations, but they do not show them on a map. They only have a list, making it a pain in the neck to see whether I might be passing by one at some point. This is not the only place that does that, and as a visually oriented person, I hate it.
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

vdeane

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 07, 2022, 05:30:00 PM
I was on buc-ees.com looking for their locations, but they do not show them on a map. They only have a list, making it a pain in the neck to see whether I might be passing by one at some point. This is not the only place that does that, and as a visually oriented person, I hate it.
What's even worse is the places that won't even give you that, but instead force you to search for an address to get any information on where locations might be.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: vdeane on April 07, 2022, 09:43:54 PM

What's even worse is the places that won't even give you that, but instead force you to search for an address to get any information on where locations might be.

I haven't come across that, but it would definitely be very frustrating.
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on April 07, 2022, 09:43:54 PM

I was just on a restaurant chain's website this morning.  When I clicked on "Locations", it led me to map that either wanted to discover my location or have me enter an address.  I didn't want to do either one, so I decided to hunt around other parts of their website for info about where in the country they're concentrated.  Unfortunately, there was no way to exit out of the map search, and no way to go to click anywhere else on the page while the map search was open.  Even when I went back to Google and clicked on the link again, my browser automatically decided I wanted the map search again.

And, of course, I wasn't about to close the browser entirely and re-open.  Because, well, I had AARoads open in another tab, and then the "Show unread posts since last visit" would be worthless.
Male pronouns, please.

SSOWorld

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on April 05, 2022, 02:25:59 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 05, 2022, 02:04:37 PM
Another language-related irritant: Use of "K-9" for "canine."

Wait, is it C3PO or See Threepeo?

I hate that too.  Or should I say h8?
K-9 is used so frequently that I would say most people don't realize its actually a word instead of a letter and a number. 
I hate any butchering of English for sloppy, lazy reasons. 

km? or klick?

K=Niner!
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kphoger

When I'm squeezing a lemon wedge and juice goes all over the place.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.