News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

There have also been a couple at the Pentagon Mixing Bowl interchange since at least sometime last year. I'm not precisely sure when they went up, but they're on southbound VA-27 next to I-395 and they're part of those sign assemblies that use the very ugly large initial caps.

The still-covered signs for the new HOV ramps in Springfield bear "Left Exit" tabs without exit numbers. The tabs on the Inner Loop are visible; they have all-yellow backgrounds instead of using yellow just for the word "Left" like the other signs we've described.

Edited to add: Here's a photo of the ones near the Pentagon. Took this picture last June, but the signs had been there for awhile before then. As I look at this now I'm noticing for the first time the conflict between the "Left Exit" and "Exit Only" designations on this sign (denoting that I-395 and Ridge Road represent "exiting" from VA-27, Washington Boulevard) and the smaller exit sign at the gore that shows the VA-27 thru lanes as the "exit" (look between the white bus and the SUV).

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NE2

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 04, 2012, 07:51:01 AM
the very ugly large initial caps.

Whatever. You'll get used to them.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

Quote from: NE2 on April 04, 2012, 11:48:34 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 04, 2012, 07:51:01 AM
the very ugly large initial caps.

Whatever. You'll get used to them.

So? Does that mean that it's not valid to say they're ugly? I mean, by the end of the Springsteen concert Sunday night I was "used to" the fact that the guy to my right had really bad BO, but it didn't mean I thought it was a good thing.

NE2

Oh, never mind. I thought you were talking about the initial caps on the directions, not the other text.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

Quote from: NE2 on April 04, 2012, 12:11:38 PM
Oh, never mind. I thought you were talking about the initial caps on the directions, not the other text.

No, the ones on the directions don't bug me at all, and indeed that style has always made sense to me because people often abbreviate directions as "N," "S," etc. VDOT used the large initial caps for the directions prior to using any Clearview and I was used to that (although it lends itself to some odd results when they have a full line of text in all-caps and then suddenly that one letter is larger). My objection to the signs in the photo above relates primarily to the initial caps on the street names and destinations. I don't think the sign on the right is all that well laid-out either, but it's the initial caps that I find jarring (and there's a series of other signs along VA-27 there that use a similar design). It places undue emphasis on the first letter of each word–for example, on that I-395 sign my eyes note the "S A R R" part more than anything else.

OracleUsr

Quote from: froggie on April 04, 2012, 07:38:28 AM
No, but close.  We've had one on southbound I-95 at US 1 just north of Woodbridge (Exit 161) for about a year now.

I didn't remember seeing that when I drove south on I-95 Sat. night...I figured I would see a "LEFT EXIT 161" there.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 03, 2012, 06:00:03 PM
In a prior post I mentioned the advance sign for I-66 with the exit tab on the wrong side. It's been fixed. Steve Titunik had someone send me an e-mail saying they would go have a look at it, but I didn't expect it to be fixed so soon.

There is still one on the outer loop just before I-66 that has the exit tab incorrect for the US 50 exit

Mapmikey

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on April 05, 2012, 06:25:04 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 03, 2012, 06:00:03 PM
In a prior post I mentioned the advance sign for I-66 with the exit tab on the wrong side. It's been fixed. Steve Titunik had someone send me an e-mail saying they would go have a look at it, but I didn't expect it to be fixed so soon.

There is still one on the outer loop just before I-66 that has the exit tab incorrect for the US 50 exit

Mapmikey

Haven't seen that one because I haven't been through there in several months. Sounds like someone at VDOT or Fluor—Transurban made up his own idea of how to use exit tabs.

1995hoo

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

Last month, VDOT wanted to make it easier and cheaper to get an EZpass.

And now, they want to charge a monthly fee for it. (H/T Allen Seth Dunn for the link)

1995hoo

Thanks for the info. We have two E-ZPasses and that sort of fee would prompt me to explore whether to cancel the account and get one from another jurisdiction.

Edited to add: I see Maine has no monthly fee but charges $10 one-time for a transponder. Massachusetts has no fee but their site redirects you to your home state when you try to sign up (like Virginia's does).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on April 19, 2012, 12:13:06 PM

And now, they want to charge a monthly fee for it. (H/T Allen Seth Dunn for the link)

I have to wonder if the left hand knows what the right hand is up to.

Given that electronic toll collection is substantially less expensive than cash, it would seem to me that encouraging use of E-ZPass, even among (infrequent) toll road/toll crossing patrons, would make sense.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 19, 2012, 02:01:55 PM

Given that electronic toll collection is substantially less expensive than cash, it would seem to me that encouraging use of E-ZPass, even among (infrequent) toll road/toll crossing patrons, would make sense.

Agreed. It seems to me that if they want to defray the cost of E-ZPass, maybe they ought to raise the tolls on cash customers since the cost to process cash payments is higher than the electronic payments (in fairness, I suppose electronic payments carry some cost due to the interchange fees imposed by the credit card companies, but that has to be less than the cost of salary plus benefits for toll collectors). You know there are always going to be some people who pay cash as long as the option is offered, either because they don't trust electronic systems to work properly, they're just comfortable with paying cash, they don't drive on toll roads often enough to bother, they live in a state with an incompatible transponder, or they're conspiracy theorists who view electronic tolling as Big Brother in action.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 19, 2012, 02:08:51 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 19, 2012, 02:01:55 PM

Agreed. It seems to me that if they want to defray the cost of E-ZPass, maybe they ought to raise the tolls on cash customers since the cost to process cash payments is higher than the electronic payments (in fairness, I suppose electronic payments carry some cost due to the interchange fees imposed by the credit card companies, but that has to be less than the cost of salary plus benefits for toll collectors). You know there are always going to be some people who pay cash as long as the option is offered, either because they don't trust electronic systems to work properly, they're just comfortable with paying cash, they don't drive on toll roads often enough to bother, they live in a state with an incompatible transponder, or they're conspiracy theorists who view electronic tolling as Big Brother in action.

Even though  over 50% of the Dulles Toll Road patrons pay with  E-ZPass these days, I am still astounded at the queues (for those paying cash) that form at the main toll barrier near Tysons Corner and at some of the plazas to the west.

West of the Toll Road on the private Dulles Greenway in Loudoun County, all of the ramp tolls (for eastbound traffic exiting and westbound traffic entering) are E-ZPass or credit card only, and even the mainline barrier on the Greenway is now unstaffed during the overnight hours.

oscar

Sounds like I'll need to remind VDOT (when the public comment period opens) that I started off with Maryland E-ZPass, then switched to Virginia's after Maryland started imposing a monthly fee.  If Virginia follows suit, maybe it'll be time for me to switch again (need to check the deals out there from other jurisdictions -- last I checked Illinois had a good one, but has that changed lately?).

$1 a month isn't that big a dent in my budget, but I try hard to reduce or avoid even small recurring charges to minimize their combined slow drip from my bank account.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

NJRoadfan

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 19, 2012, 10:07:06 AM
WTOP: Plans moving ahead for I-95 tolls

72% needs to be repaved? Bull, they did all the horrible concrete sections south of Richmond with what I presume was ARRA funds a few years back. That was by far the worst section of roadway. The rest is actually in decent shape.... much smoother then what most Northeast states have for Interstate pavement. Plus these tolls won't be used for roadway expansion? Whats the point then? I-95 desperately needs extra lanes between Quantico (where the current HOV lanes end) and I-295 along with the section from I-295 (south end) to the state line. The current HOT lane proposal only goes to Fredricksburg and clearly needs expansion south of there.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 21, 2012, 12:19:43 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 19, 2012, 10:07:06 AM
WTOP: Plans moving ahead for I-95 tolls

72% needs to be repaved? Bull, they did all the horrible concrete sections south of Richmond with what I presume was ARRA funds a few years back. That was by far the worst section of roadway. The rest is actually in decent shape.... much smoother then what most Northeast states have for Interstate pavement.

Have you driven I-95 in the City of Richmond recently? They're just now repaving it. But yeah, the tolls are redundant and useless given that they won't be going back to VDOT for the most part (doesn't that technically violate interstate standards?).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

Some of 95 in Chester, Colonial Heights, and Petersburg was paved in November and December, but the end result was atrocious, especially in the latter two. My dad, a construction inspector who often works on interstates, said it was the worst repaving end result he's ever seen. Point is, even that section needs repaving and it's less than six months old!
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

PurdueBill

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 19, 2012, 12:49:57 PMMassachusetts has no fee but their site redirects you to your home state when you try to sign up (like Virginia's does).

Makes me feel fortunate that the MassPike FastLane account I opened over a decade ago still lives, and that they even replaced my transponder free last year (in person while I was visiting Mass.)...at the time I opened the account and started using it I was a Mass resident but now being in Ohio I'm glad I don't have to pay the monthly fees here.

1995hoo

By experimenting I found you can indeed get a Massachusetts E-ZPass if you're from elsewhere. When it asks what state you're from, tell it Massachusetts, then when you fill in your info you can give it your true address.

froggie

QuoteI-95 desperately needs extra lanes between Quantico (where the current HOV lanes end) and I-295 along with the section from I-295 (south end) to the state line.

Quantico to Richmond, yes.  Petersburg to the state line, much less so.

QuoteBut yeah, the tolls are redundant and useless given that they won't be going back to VDOT for the most part (doesn't that technically violate interstate standards?).

What do you mean here?  The tolls would be going back to I-95 improvements.  And no, that wouldn't violate Federal law because that's exactly what the law was written for.  Why do you think tolling I-80 in PA was rejected by FHWA?

1995hoo

I was under the impression that, as froggie says, the point of the tolling on I-95 is that Virginia would give up any future federal funding for that road and that the toll revenue would be required to be used solely for I-95 maintenance or improvements. I suppose you could accurately say the funding wouldn't go into VDOT's general budget per se, but insofar as VDOT maintains I-95 (outside of the future HO/T project), VDOT would be getting the toll money.

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 22, 2012, 12:36:09 PM
I was under the impression that, as froggie says, the point of the tolling on I-95 is that Virginia would give up any future federal funding for that road and that the toll revenue would be required to be used solely for I-95 maintenance or improvements. I suppose you could accurately say the funding wouldn't go into VDOT's general budget per se, but insofar as VDOT maintains I-95 (outside of the future HO/T project), VDOT would be getting the toll money.

The I-95 toll revenue would be restricted in use to only on I-95 improvements and debt retirement, but federal funds would be a separate issue; as a "Corridor of the Future", an Interstate highway could possibly use a mix of toll revenue bond financing, state tax funds, and federal road use taxes, with the final funding package and toll rates subject to FHWA approval.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.