AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Ontario's Highways  (Read 269002 times)

cbeach40

• Last Login: August 22, 2019, 04:17:56 PM
    • The Ontario Highwayman
Re: Ontario's Highways
« Reply #1075 on: May 14, 2019, 10:45:51 AM »

^ That's a step in the right direction. But I'm surprised that there's not more freeways than that being raised to 110 km/h. I hope this is followed up with more increased speed limits.

It's rather deliberately these ones - one in each of MTO's southern Regions, and roads with very forgiving designs (all built/completely rebuilt in the 70s-80s-90s). Starting with those ones where the outcome is likely less of a surprise will be better optics than BC's slapdash approach to raising speed limits.

(though in fairness to BC, most of what they do with highways is pretty slapdash)  :-D
Blah blah, opinions expressed are my own.

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

• Location: Seattle and Tacoma, WA Vancouver, BC | Arlington, VA
  • Last Login: Today at 01:18:37 PM
« Reply #1076 on: May 14, 2019, 01:18:41 PM »

At least I can still drive 120 on the Coq!

compdude787

• Last Login: Today at 11:07:03 AM
« Reply #1077 on: May 14, 2019, 06:00:42 PM »

^ That's a step in the right direction. But I'm surprised that there's not more freeways than that being raised to 110 km/h. I hope this is followed up with more increased speed limits.

It's rather deliberately these ones - one in each of MTO's southern Regions, and roads with very forgiving designs (all built/completely rebuilt in the 70s-80s-90s). Starting with those ones where the outcome is likely less of a surprise will be better optics than BC's slapdash approach to raising speed limits.

(though in fairness to BC, most of what they do with highways is pretty slapdash)  :-D

I'm surprised that the 416 isn't getting higher speed limits. That one is pretty new.

AsphaltPlanet

• Single Occupant Vehicle Commuter

• Last Login: Today at 10:17:38 AM
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

jakeroot

• U/Wash - Urban Design

• Location: Seattle and Tacoma, WA Vancouver, BC | Arlington, VA
  • Last Login: Today at 01:18:37 PM
« Reply #1081 on: July 18, 2019, 01:49:45 PM »

Some photos of the 407 extension in eastern Durham Region:

Great photos! As always.

I looked around your website but couldn't find any info. What's your camera setup like? Do you use the same camera for stills and your videos?

repost from yesterday to include quote

AsphaltPlanet

• Single Occupant Vehicle Commuter

• Last Login: Today at 10:17:38 AM
« Reply #1082 on: July 18, 2019, 10:12:47 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, it truly is appreciated.

My website is pretty out of date for personal stuff like that.  These were photographed with a Sony Alpha 6300 with an 18-135 kit lens.  That's pretty much my go-to nowadays for still photography.  I use a proper video camera for road videos.  I started with a mirrorless camera, but both the Sony Alpha 6000 and 6300 are prone to overheating on long trips in the car.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.