The Delaware Highways page is intended to give an overview of the Delaware state highway system. Included are photos, historical information, maps, and traffic counts covering the roads of the First State.
A doubling of the state population since 1970 brought the total to 786,189 as of the 2000 census. During that time period, Interstate 95 expanded from six to eight lanes, tolls at the Delaware Turnpike interchanges were removed, and the SR 1 Turnpike was constructed between Dover and the Wilmington metropolitan area. Explosive growth continued through the new milenium with 935,614 Delawareans estimated per the Census in 2014.
Projects continue to expand existing roadways while construction is underway to build a new toll road for U.S. 301 and upgrade several at-grade intersections along Delaware 1 to full interchanges. Future work may also expand portions of U.S. 113 to expressway standards.
City / Area Guides:
- Delaware State Route Log
- SR 1 Turnpike (Korean War Veterans Memorial Highway) - overview of the toll road
- Walkabout Wilmington - a photographic guide to the streets of Wilmington
- Walkabout Interstate 95 Wilmington - photos looking at Interstate 95 from above and below
New Castle County State Routes
Kent County State Routes
Sussex County State Routes
|Top City / Town Populations|
|Sources: 2014 U.S. Census Data estimates;
Population Change for Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas in the United States and Puerto Rico (February 2013 Delineations): 2000 to 2010
- Capital: Dover
- Nickname: First State or Diamond State
- State Flower: Peach Blossom
- State Bird: Delaware Blue Hen
- State Tree: American Holly
- Total Interstate Mileage: 40.61
- Land Area: 1,948.54 square miles
- Highest Point: Ebright Azimuth 447.85 Feet
- Statehood: 1st State, admitted December 7, 1787.
Special thanks goes to Steve Alpert, Steve Anderson, Chase Beck, Russell Blau, Justin Blau, Carter Buchanan, Jana Clark, Lou Corsaro, Adam Froehlig, Averill Hecht, Brent Ivy, Chris Jordan, Kelly Nitzman, Jeanne Krause, Jonathan Lebowitz, Ian Ligget, JP Nasiatka, Fred Nitzman, Nicole Nitzman, Tim Reichard, Jim Teresco, Cary B. Todd, Rahul, Jeff Royston, Michael Summa, Kevin J. Sylvester, Mike Tantillo, and Ed Wilson for their support and contributions to the Delaware Highways Page.
Disclaimer: This page is not associated with the Delaware Department of Transportation or its employees.
Page Updated 12-13-2016.