About New York
- Capital: Albany
- Nickname: The Empire State
- State Flower: Rose
- State Bird: Eastern Bluebird
- State Tree: Sugar Maple
- Total Interstate Mileage: 1,730.34
- Land Area: 47,126 square miles
- Highest Point: Mount Marcy in Essex County: 5,344 feet
- Lowest Point: Sea level
- Number of Counties: 62
- Statehood: 11th State, July 26, 1788
Major League Sports Franchises:
- Buffalo Bills (NFL)
- Buffalo Sabres (NFL)
- New York Islanders (NHL)
- New York Knicks (NBA)
- New York Mets (MLB)
- Brooklyn Nets (NBA), relocated from New Jersey for the 2012-13 season
- New York Rangers (NHL)
- New York Yankees (MLB)
- Brooklyn Dodgers, relocated to Los Angeles by 1958.
- Buffalo Braves, relocated to San Diego in 1978 and renamed the Clippers.
- Rochester Royals, relocated to Cincinnati in 1957.
- New York Giants, relocated to San Francisco by 1958.
Page updated March 19, 2020.