- Capital: Des Moines
- Nickname: Hawkeye State
- State Flower: Wild Rose
- State Bird: Eastern Goldfinch
- State Tree: Oak
- Total Interstate Mileage: 781.24
- Land Area: 55,869.3 square miles
- Acres in Farmland (2006): 31,500,000
- Highest Point: Hawkeye Point 1,670 feet
- Lowest Point: Mississippi River in Lee County 480 feet
- Number of Counties: 99
- Number of Incorporated Places: 948
- Statehood: 29th state; admitted December 28, 1846
- Quaker Oats, in Cedar Rapids, is the largest cereal company in the world.
- Dubuque is home to the only county courthouse with a gold dome.
- Herbert Hoover, a West Branch native, was the 31st president of the United States and the first one born west of the Mississippi.
- Iowa is ranked first in Pork, Corn and Egg production in the U.S.
Major League Sports Franchises
Updated December 27, 2021.