Sitemap to all pages covering the state of Iowa. Photography contributions by Alex Nitzman, Andy Field, Bill Gatchel, Brent Ivy and Scott Onson.
City / Area Guides
|Des Moines||456,022||Cedar Falls-Waterloo||128,012|
|Cedar Rapids||191,701||Iowa City||111,006|
|Top County Populations|
|Black Hawk||126,106||Des Moines||40,885|
|Top City Populations|
|Cedar Rapids||126,396||Council Bluffs||59,921|
|Iowa City||67,062||West Des Moines||54,726|
|Source: 2000-2006 U.S. Census Data|
- Capital: Des Moines
- Nickname: Hawkeye State
- State Flower: Wild Rose
- State Bird: Eastern Goldfinch
- State Tree: Oak
- Total Interstate Mileage: 781.804
- Land Area: 55,869.3 square miles
- Acres in Farmland (2006): 31,500,000
- Highest Point: Hawkeye Point 1,670 feet
- Lowest Point: Mississippi River in Lee County 480 feet
- Number of Counties: 99
- Number of Incorporated Places: 948
- Statehood: 29th state; admitted December 28, 1846
- Quaker Oats, in Cedar Rapids, is the largest cereal company in the world.
- Dubuque is home to the only county courthouse with a gold dome.
- Herbert Hoover, a West Branch native, was the 31st president of the United States and the first one born west of the Mississippi.
- Iowa is ranked first in Pork, Corn and Egg production in the U.S.
Major League Sports Franchises
Page Updated January 22, 2018.