- Capital: Springfield
- Nickname: Prairie State
- State Flower: Purple Violet
- State Bird: Cardinal
- State Tree: White Oak
- Total Interstate Mileage: 2,203.42
- Land Area: 57,918 square miles
- Highest Point: Charles Mound 1,235 feet
- Lowest Point: Mississippi River in Alexander County 279 feet
- Number of Counties: 102
- Statehood: 21st state; admitted December 3, 1818
Major League Sports Franchises
- Chicago Bears (NFL)
- Chicago Blackhawks (NHL)
- Chicago Bulls (NBA)
- Chicago Cubs (MLB)
- Chicago Fire (MLS)
- Chicago White Sox (MLB)
- Chicago Cardinals, relocated in 1959 to St. Louis and eventually Phoenix.
- Chicago Zephyrs, relocated in 1963 to Baltimore and renamed the Bullets, later moving again to Washington and eventually changing names to the Wizards.
- Tri-Cities Blackhawks, relocated to Milwaukee in 1951, later becoming the Atlanta Hawks in 1968.
Major Motorsport Speedways
- Chicagoland Speedway
Updated July 16, 2021.