- Capital: Jefferson City
- Nickname: Show Me State
- State Flower: Hawthorn
- State Bird: Eastern Bluebird
- State Tree: Flowering Dogwood
- Total Interstate Mileage: 1,386.23
- Land Area: 69,704 square miles
- Highest Point: Taum Sauk Mountain 1,772 feet
- Lowest Point: Saint Francis River along north-south border with Arkansas, 230 feet
- Number of Counties: 114 and one independent city (St. Louis)
- Statehood: 24th state; admitted August 10, 1821
Major League Sports Franchises
- Kansas City Chiefs (NFL)
- Kansas City Royals (MLB)
- St. Louis Blues (NHL)
- St. Louis Cardinals (MLB)
- St. Louis Rams (NFL) – moved to Los Angeles in January 2016.
- Kansas City Athletics (MLB), the A’s relocated from Philadelphia to KC in 1955 and left for Oakland in 1967.
- Kansas City Scouts (NHL), played only two seasons, relocating to Denver as the Colorado Rockies in 1976.
- Kansas City Kings (NBA), initially the Kansas City Omaha Kings, splitting their games between the two cities until 1979. The Kings moved to Sacramento in 1985.
- St. Louis Browns (MLB), became the Baltimore Orioles in 1954.
- St. Louis Cardinals (NFL), moved to St. Louis from Chicago in 1960, vacated Missouri for Phoenix in 1987.
- St. Louis Hawks (NBA), the Hawks moved to St. Louis from Milwaukee in 1955 and left for Atlanta in 1968.
Updated February 27, 2020.