Florida 60 is a trans-peninsular route that connects Clearwater to the west with Vero Beach in the east. The state road is mostly four lanes, traveling across Old Tampa Bay via Courtney Campbell Causeway between urban Pinellas County and Hillsborough County, and Kennedy Boulevard through the city of Tampa. A short overlap with U.S. 41 Business takes the state road through Downtown Tampa to Adamo Drive, an industrial arterial parallel to the Selmon Expressway (SR 618) east to Brandon.
Through Brandon, SR 60 comprises a busy arterial with up to eight lanes of capacity. As the main route through the unincorporated suburb, the route is extremely busy. East from the county line, SR 60 drops southward to Mulberry and Bartow, where it utilizes a bypass along side a portion of U.S. 98. Beyond the Polk County seat, SR 60 becomes more rural through to Lake Wales.
Once at Lake Wales, Florida 60 shifts southward to bypass the city center from a folded diamond interchange with U.S. 27 to the south of Lake Wales itself. The remainder of the highway southeast to Avon Park Bombing Range and Yeehaw Junction (where it meets both U.S. 441 and Florida's Turnpike) is rural.
It is not until Vero Beach and the interchange with I-95 that SR 60 again transitions to a commercial arterial. The state road bee lines east toward Downtown Vero Beach, where it separates into a one-way couplet before taking a dog leg north and east across the Indian River to end at Florida A1A, 0.3 miles from the Atlantic Ocean beaches.
Florida 60 is 160.82 miles long, and it passes through five counties on its journey: Pinellas (11.205 miles), Hillsborough (approximately 37.991 miles eastbound), Polk (56.142 miles), Osceola (21.890 miles) and Indian River (33.592 miles eastbound).
An unsigned branch of SR 60 lines West Kennedy Boulevard from Hoover Boulevard and Memorial Highway at Westshore in Tampa. The 0.311 mile segment connects the ramps with I-275 at the Howard Frankland Bridge approach with the SR 60 mainline transition from the Memorial Highway freeway to Kennedy Boulevard.
Clearwater Memorial Causeway
The first bridge joining Clearwater Beach and Clearwater was constructed in 1916. The wooden structure utilized a hand-cranked boat opening at midspan. It was replaced in November 1927 with a higher bridge allowing smaller boats to pass unimpeded. A double-lift span situated along the bridge allowed larger vessels passage along the Intracoastal Waterway. Work followed in 1963 with a new bridge and upgrade of the causeway leading to it.1
A new high-level fixed span for Memorial Causeway was planned as the 1963-crossing reached the end of its lifespan. Construction, which was delayed by 18 months due to structural deficiencies in four of the main columns, ran from December 2002 to August 18, 2005. The new 74 foot high bridge cost $69.3-million.1,3
Looking west from Rocky Point at the ten-mile long Courtney Campbell Causeway between Clearwater and Tampa. Photo taken October 19, 2013.
Courtney Campbell Causeway
Originally named Davis Causeway, the roadway spanning northern reaches of Old Tampa Bay opened on June 28, 1934. It was named for Ben T. Davis, proponent for the road. The causeway was tolled until 1944, when the federal government paid the bridge owners $1.1 million to remove them them in an effort to speed up wartime traffic. Courtney Campbell, a state road board member from Clearwater, lobbied for causeway improvements including a rebuild of its base and landscaping. His efforts led the renaming of the causeway in his name in 1948, despite objections from many including Campbell himself. The state road board named the parks and beaches lining the causeway after Ben Davis, who died in 1947.3
Florida 60 Highway Guides
- Florida 60 East - Clearwater Beach to Tampa
- Florida 60 East - Tampa to Brandon
- Florida 60 West - Brandon to Tampa
- Florida 60 West - Tampa to Clearwater Beach
- Florida 60 Archive - East
- Florida 60 Archive - West
|Florida 60 Scenes|
|Looking east at Rocky Point and the skyline of Downtown Tampa from Ben T. Davis Municipal Beach along the south side of Courtney Campbell Causeway. Photo taken 01/02/06.|
|Looking southeast from Ben T. Davis Municipal Beach at the distance Howard Frankland Bridge carrying Interstate 275 between Westshore in Tampa and Feather Sound in St. Petersburg. Photo taken 01/02/06.|
|Unsigned Florida 60 - Kennedy Boulevard east|
|A short distance further, Kennedy Boulevard approaches Florida 60 at the south end of the Memorial Highway freeway. Photo taken 01/18/14.|
|Florida 60 west passes under adjacent Interstate 275 en route to George J. Bean Parkway north to TPA International Airport and the Veterans Expressway (SR 589). Photo taken 01/18/14.|
|Florida 60 east overtakes Kennedy Boulevard from the entrance to Westshore Mall here to Downtown Tampa. Photo taken 01/18/14.|
|Cleveland Street (former Florida 60) east|
|This overhead directed Florida 60 southeast from Cleveland Street onto Gulf to Bay Boulevard. It was removed by 2007 as part of a signal upgrade project. Photo taken 01/02/06.|
|Gulf To Bay Boulevard (former Florida 60) east|
|Cleveland Street (former Florida 60 west)|
- "Pinellas Bridges and Causeways." Bayciti - Tampa Bay Urban Blog. Cozart, Justin, April 8, 2005. September 18, 2015.
- "Open at Last." St. Petersburg Times, August 18, 2005.
- "Bridges (Hillsborough)." Bayciti - Tampa Bay Urban Blog. Cozart, Justin, October 24, 2004. September 18, 2015.
2006-01-02, 2014-01-18 by AARoads
Page Updated 09-22-2015.