Interstate 96 Michigan
08/29/07 & 09/07/09 photos taken by Ryan Pooya.
|Interstate 96 East|
|Interstate 96 eastbound at the Exit 106 directional-cloverleaf interchange with Interstate 496 west and U.S. 127 southeast of Lansing. Interstate 496 begins here and travels north to downtown and west to Delta Township. U.S. 127 follows its own freeway south to Jackson and north beyond Interstate 496 to St. Johns. The US highway replaced U.S. 27 in 2002. Photo taken 08/29/07.|
|Exit 106B loops onto Interstate 496 west & U.S. 127 north toward downtown Lansing. Interstate 496 comprises a 11.83-mile urban loop through the capital city that was fully completed by 1970. Photo taken 08/29/07.|
|Heading southeast along Interstate 96 (Jeffries Freeway) on the approach to Exit 190, junction Interstate 94. Interstate 94 links Detroit with Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport at Romulus. Photo taken 09/07/09.|
|Interstate 94 meets Interstate 96 at a directional interchange (Exit 190A). The freeway angles southwest from Detroit to Dearborn, Melvindale, and Allen Park and continues northeast toward Hamtramck. Interstate 94 was fully completed in Michigan by 19722; the Edsel Ford Freeway opened between the Dearborn city limit and Grand River Road (adjacent to Interstates 94 & 96) in 1953 and eastward to the John C. Lodge Expressway by 1954. Portions of the route leading west to Ypsilanti carried the designation of Michigan 112 then later U.S. 12 before becoming Interstate 94.3 Photo taken 09/07/09.|
|All movements to Interstate 94 depart in unison from Interstate 96 east. Interstate 94 continues northeast through Detroit to Port Huron and its eastern terminus. Westward the freeway continues to Ann Arbor, Jackson, and Chicago, Illinois. Photo taken 09/07/09.|
|Passing through Exit 109A, Interstate 96 draws to within 1.25 miles of Interstate 75. Interstate 75 provides the main route between Toledo and downtown Detroit. The freeway travels 395.40 miles in the state. Photo taken 09/07/09.|
|Exit 190B departs Interstate 96 east from within Exit 109A onto the Jeffries Freeway eastbound frontage road ahead of Warren Avenue. Warren Avenue heads east to Wayne State University and west to north Dearborn. Photo taken 09/07/09.|
|Motorists destined for Canada are partitioned to Interstate 75 north to Michigan 10 (John Lodge Freeway) east to the Windsor Tunnel and the Vernor Highway exit at Interstate 96's east end to the Ambassador Bridge. Photo taken 09/07/09.|
|Interstate 96 approaches the Gateway Project with Interstates 75 and nearby Michigan 10 (John Lodge Freeway). Interstate 96 defaults onto Interstate 75 (Fisher Freeway) southbound to Lincoln Park, Southgate, and Monroe. Michigan 10 interchanges with Interstate 75 outside of downtown just east of the Gateway. Photo taken 09/07/09.|
|Exit 191 follows as a half-diamond interchange to the frontage roads ahead of Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard. U.S. 12 (Michigan Avenue) crosses nearby from Dearborn into the Corktown neighborhood west of downtown. U.S. 12 is the lone surviving US highway traveling to downtown Detroit. U.S. 10, 16, 25 and 112 were all decommissioned within the state. Photo taken 09/07/09.|
|Ramps to Interstate 75 north partition into connections to the freeway mainline north of downtown and a collector/distributor roadway to Michigan 10 and the Detroit Civic Center / Cobo Arena and Hall. Photo taken 09/07/09.|
|Interstate 96 partitions into two two-lane ramps to Interstate 75 north and south. July 2009 completed roadwork reconstructed the interchange between the two freeways as part of the $230-million Ambassador Bridge Gateway Project. The project is designed to improve access to the Ambassador Bridge to Windsor, Ontario. Photo taken 09/07/09.|
|Continuing along the "Interstate 96" mainline to Interstate 75 south, drivers parallel the Interstate 75 mainline with separate ramps departing for Vernor Highway (Exit 47C) and the Ambassador Bridge (Exit 47C). Photo taken 09/07/09.|
|Exit 47C joins the Fisher Freeway frontage road ahead of Vernor Highway. Vernor Highway leads west to Dix Street and the Springwells community and east to U.S. 12 (Michigan Avenue). Photo taken 09/07/09.|
|The Ambassador Bridge rises on the horizon as Interstate 96 nears the merge with Interstate 75 south near Clark Avenue (Exit 47A). The tolled suspension bridge joins Interstate 75 with Ontario 3 (Huron Church Road) at Windsor. It opened November 14, 1929 and is operated by the Detroit International Bridge Company. Photo taken 09/07/09.|
|Vernor Highway crosses over the freeway near the Bradley Street pedestrian bridge, 0.75 miles north of the Exit 47A diamond interchange with Clark Street. Clark Street connects Interstate 75 with Mexicantown. Photo taken 09/07/09.|
|Exit 192B will provide a direct ramp to the Ambassador Bridge toll plaza and Windsor, Ontario upon completion. Delays on its opening are a result of the Detroit International Bridge Company's failure to completion its portion of the Gateway Project.4 Exit 47C leaves Interstate 75 south to Porter Street nearby. Photo taken 09/07/09.|
|Interstate 96 West|
|No photos at this time.|
|Scenes pertaining to Interstate 96|
|A new interchange was added to Interstate 96 linking the freeway with 36th Street north of Gerald R. Ford International Airport. Ramps tie into the freeway at a wide carriageway split, taking into consideration the local terrain to link with Interstate 96. 36th Street travels west through a pervasive area of warehouses and other industrial buildings to Patterson Avenue north of the airport terminal. Photo taken 09/29/09.|
- Michigan Highways: Highways 250 through 696.
- Michigan Highways: Highways 90 through 99.
- Michigan Highways: Early Willow Run, Detroit Industrial & Edsel Ford Expressways.
- MDOT Gateway Newsletter, Issue 11, September through November, 2009.
Page Updated October 22, 2009.