Interstate 10 is the oldest freeway in San Antonio. The first section, from Woodlawn Drive to Culebra Avenue (current Spur 421), opened in 1949. An extension south to Martin Street followed in 1951. The section from Fredricksburg Road north of present-day Loop 345 to IH 410 was open by 1962, with the gap between Loop 410 and Woodlawn Avenue completed by 1964. East from Loop 13, construction was finished by 1963, with the freeway extended west to Commerce Street by 1964. By 1968, IH 10 was complete inside Bexar County.
The Downtown Y project added a second level to IH 10 between Hildebrand Street and IH 35 over the original 1949-51 freeway during the 1984-90 time frame.
US 87 overlaps with IH 10 for the majority of its run through San Antonio. US 90 runs concurrently with IH 10 east from IH 35, south of Downtown.