Interstate 90 / New York Thruway


The majority of Interstate 90 across Upstate New York follows the tolled New York State Thruway. The toll road predates the Interstate system, having opened 115 miles west from Verona, near Utica, to Rochester on June 24, 1954. Bringing the total mileage of the Thruway system to 381, succeeding sections opened west to Buffalo on August 26, 1954 and east to Albany, including the section along I-87 south to Newburg on December 22, 1954.1 A 41 mile long segment of the Erie section of the New York Thruway opened to traffic southwest from the village of Silver Creek in Chautauqua County to U.S. 20 and Route 5 at the Pennsylvania state line on August 21, 1957.2 This left just 29 miles of the Thruway mainline as incomplete. The portion east from Silver Creek to Buffalo was completed on December 14, 1959, increasing the total mileage of the Thruway system to 506.3

Interstate 90 New York Guides

The Berkshire Section of the New York Thruway initially opened from U.S. 9 at the town of Schodack to the Masschusetts state line following a ribbon cutting ceremony held on October 8, 1958. Construction continued on the remainder of the Berkshire Spur west six miles to the Hudson River and Selkirk until year's end.4

Interstate 90 scenes
Shield assembly on New York 179 Westbound at the entrance ramps to the New York Thruway. Interstate 90 is tolled from this interchange north (east) to U.S. 219, and west to the state line of Pennsylvania. Also notice the Peace Bridge trailblazer. Photo taken 05/27/00.

Sources:

  1. "Thruway Traffic Report Made." The Troy Record (NY), January 11, 1955.
  2. "New Thruway Section Will Be Open Today." Wellsville Daily Reporter (Wellsville, NY), August 21, 1957.
  3. "Thruway Opens Here on Saturday." The Sun and the Erie County Independent (Hamburg, NY), December 12, 1957.
  4. "Berkshire Spur of State Thruway Opens Tomorrow." The Times Record (Troy, NY), October 7, 1958.

Page Updated February 19, 2006.

© AARoads