Interstate 295 provides a mostly six lane eastern bypass of both Petersburg and Richmond for I-95 and a northern bypass for I-64. Speed limits are posted at 70 miles per hour on the 28-mile stretch between Petersburg and Interstate 64 east of Richmond. Limits were increased during Summer 2010.1
Construction on the route started in 1976 at Mechanicsville. The final 9.8-mile stretch, between Virginia 36 and Interstate 95 southeast of Petersburg, open to traffic on June 25, 1992. See Interstate Guide: Interstate 295 Virginia for more history of the freeway.
Interstate 295 Virginia Guides
- North - Petersburg to Seven Pines
- North - Seven Pines to Short Pump
- South - Short Pump to Seven Pines
- South - Seven Pines to Petersburg
- "70 mph now legal on I-95 between Hanover, Spotsylvania exits." Richmond Times-Dispatch, December 6, 2010.
Page Updated 11-02-2012.